Tuesday, October 6, 2009

The Real Life Way to Lose

I'm going to let you in on a little secret that I've recently discovered. The solution to weight loss lies not in fancy diets or gimmicks (as if you didn't already know that), but rather something less obvious- being poor.

Ok, I'm only kidding. Well, sort of. But as I sit here at the desk in my office, with everyone else out to lunch or eating at their desks, I can't help but think that I might be on to something here.

So, I'm not exactly "poor"- about as poor as any other yet-to-be-employed recent college grad. But saddled with an out-of-state unpaid internship, the majority of my weekend mall job pay is quickly chiseled away by gas, gas and more gas...and sometimes parking.

As I've mentioned before, I'm lucky to have the support of my parents, in addition to my wonderful aunt and uncle with whom I've been staying each week while I intern. Still though, I've gotten to the point where I feel uncomfortable asking for help from my family. Sure, they'd be more than willing to help, but shouldn't I be beyond this by now? After all, my sister got a job a month after she graduated last year. She's not asking for handouts, so why should I? It's safe to say I don't want to be looked at as the failure child. I know, I know...I only just graduated a few months ago. But with no job prospects in sight (other than the measley $40 per article freelance jobs that I've been racking up), it's beginning to get frusterating.

And that brings me here. While down here interning, I've been eating one big meal a day on average. Lately I've been skipping lunch in favor of waiting to get home to my aunt and uncles, where the food is free. I'm lucky to have an uncle who feels he's a gourmet chef (and the dinners that he cooks back up that theory). Last night I even discovered a new-found love for Squash. However, I can't help but get jealous upon seeing my co-workers flock to the Whole Foods every day for their lunch hour. And all jokes aside, I know that joining them would be healthier than waiting until dinner-time to gorge myself.

Oh student loans/car payment/gas/everything.else.i.waste.money.on...why can't you just pay yourselves??!

No comments:

Post a Comment